There are eight music practice rooms in the first-year dorms:
- Greenough basement (piano)
- Holworthy common room (piano)
- Matthews basement (two wheelchair-accessible rooms, one with piano)
- Straus A basement
- Straus C basement (piano)
- Wigglesworth C (piano)
- Wigglesworth D (piano)
Registering for Music Practice Rooms
To use the music practice rooms, first-years must stop by the First-Year Experience Office to complete a contract and gain access to the online reservation system.
Guidelines for Practice Room Use
- Only first-year students are permitted to use the spaces.
- Rooms are available from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm; Straus rooms are available 24 hours/day.
- Limit the use of rooms to an hour at a time and no more than three hours a day.
- No food or drinks permitted.
- Students may use the heater(s) and air conditioners, but please power off after use.
- Drums and amplifiers are not allowed in any music practice room.
- Do not store your equipment in the music practice rooms.
- Music room windows must remain closed at all times.
- Please always be considerate of your neighbors.
Note about the Pianos
Pianos in the music rooms were donated in used condition and are therefore not performance-grade instruments. Accomplished players may not be pleased with the quality of the instruments so are encouraged to inquire about practice pianos in the Department of Music or in the upper-class Houses.
If any of the pianos need tuning, or there are any other questions or concerns about the practice rooms, please contact us.