For many years, the Dean of Students Office has assigned readings to incoming first-year students and organized conversations with faculty and administrators during orientation to address important questions raised in the texts. Community Conversations is a program jointly supported by the Office of Diversity Education and Support and the First-Year Experience Office.
The goals of Community Conversations are to:
- Consider what’s important to you about your identity and your community as you transition from home to Harvard
- Examine your assumptions and learn about your peers’ diverse identities and perspectives
- Begin to develop a sense of shared responsibility for upholding a compassionate and respectful community
Students prepare for Community Conversations by:
- Considering the book and video assigned:
- Attending the conversation with a willingness to share about yourself, and learn about your peers as you join an exceptionally diverse class at Harvard