As described in the dorm amenities overview, most dorms are equipped with depots for the disposal of trash, recycling, and compost.
Guidelines for Composting
- Compostable bags and cleaning supplies are available in every trash room.
- You and your roommates are responsible for emptying your compost bin at least once per week.
Guidelines for Trash Disposal
- All trash should be bagged and tied.
- Do not leave trash in the hallways, elevators, stairways, or in front of dorms.
- Students who have hallway bathrooms are asked not to deposit personal trash there.
Guidelines for Recycling
- Recycling is single stream, so items may be co-mingled.
Get Involved in Sustainability
In 2008, Harvard and the Office for Sustainability launched a campaign to reduce its carbon footprint by 30% through 2016. To achieve this goal, a number of offices and organizations promote sustainability as a part of student life. For instance, the Food Literacy Project and Harvard Community Garden inform students about sustainable food practices, while the Resource Efficiency Program educates undergraduates on topics from energy and waste to recycling and food. And Green ’19 is a group devoted just to first-years, enabling students to reduce environmental impact during the first year.